Get ready to indulge in a slice of homemade goodness that even your husband might consider a complete meal (yes, seriously!). This moist and tangy bread is the perfect combination of flavors, with the added bonus of repurposing your discarded sourdough starter. Combine the goodness of fresh sourdough starter, ripe mashed bananas, and a hint of vanilla to create a moist and flavorful treat. Whether you have some extra sourdough starter to use up or simply crave a delicious homemade treat, this recipe is a must-try.
Let's dive into the kitchen and whip up a batch of this irresistible Sourdough Banana Bread!
- 1/2 cup butter, palm shortening, or coconut oil (I prefer using 1 stick of butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fresh sourdough starter (Use your discard down to 1/4 cup in your pint jar and add the remaining 3/4 cup flour and 3/4 cup water. Allow it to ferment until it's bubbling, typically at least 4 hours)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (ensure they have sweet spots for maximum flavor)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (add an additional 1/4 cup for high altitudes above 6,000 ft)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C) and greasing a loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the butter (or your preferred alternative) and sugar until the mixture is well combined and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract to the bowl, and continue mixing until fully incorporated.
- Now, it's time to add the star ingredient! Mix in the fresh sourdough starter and the mashed bananas, ensuring they are thoroughly combined with the other ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Gradually add the dry flour mixture to the banana mixture, stirring gently until just combined. Avoid over-mixing, as it can result in a denser texture.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan, spreading it evenly.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the banana bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Slice, serve, and savor every bite of this delectable Sourdough Banana Bread!
Enjoy this homemade goodness as a delightful breakfast, a comforting snack, or dessert. This Sourdough Banana Bread recipe is sure to become a family favorite. Happy baking!